This entire process has been exponentially quick. I received the initial job description about 2-3 weeks ago, but at that point, I still really did not want to stay in the USA (I still don’t, but international doors are not opening, and more continue to shut because of the pandemic, which is again on the rise.)
Last week, whilst still in TX, the owner of the private teaching firm I started working with last December (remember the temp job in Beverly Hills with the bipolar Mom?), reached out directly and asked if I was in China or going to China and stated that this post in Palo Alto was a perfect fit. That was Thursday, August 5, while I was still in Texas preparing to drive to Fort Worth and then CO. Friday I responded, and we spoke about the job. The first interview with dad was the very next day and a second interview with mom on Monday. A virtual meet-greet with kiddo went well yesterday, Wednesday. The 8-year-old and I spoke for an hour, with ease!
The only reason they delayed the decision is because they had a previously scheduled vaca which began yesterday; otherwise, they would have flown me in to meet in person, and then the decision would be solidified. They’ve already told both my placement agency owner and me they are very interested and want to move forward, but they definitely want to meet first and see how I interact with their son. Absolutely reasonable!
In retrospect, I realize that my expectation that they even make a soft verbal offer was unrealistic, because we had not met in person—hiring a private teacher is a major decision for parents, as well as a major financial commitment.
My placement agent has already told them they need to decide by the end of August, and now, since I will meet them in person next week, after we have already had cumulative virtual meetings of totalling nearly 5 hours over the course of three meetings in the past 5 days, she has communicated that they will need to decide pretty quickly after our face-to-face. She’s already indicated that I am the strongest candidate (I love having someone as my cheerleader!); she has other teachers to recommend, but she has told them point-blank that none of them have the skill-set I do and match for them as well as I do.
Thus, I feel better today: less drained and disappointed-, more optimistic and holding a more realistic expectation of the timeline for this post. Isn’t it amusing how we (I) set ourselves (myself) up for disappointment when we have expectations that are not met—whether in relationships or with events such as this? It boils down to staying present, allowing, being confident in my skills (which I am), being patient, knowing the right job for me will appear in the right time (as I seek it out of course), and having realistic expectation.
Although I am still 98% sure I will get a job offer, I will respond to the queries I have received this past week, and continue to send out letters of interest.
Normally, when interviewing for a private teaching job, if one is not in the same area as the family, there would be an initial virtual meeting. If that goes well, then the family would fly you out to their city for an in-person meet. Lastly, the job offer (or not). The only aspect that has delayed the standard timeline of this sequence is the fact that their vaca falls right in the middle of all of it! For me, that means waiting an additional week for the in-person meet and job offer. Really, nothing is out of alignment, nor looking like I wouldn’t get the position. My agent has already stated that I am the only candidate they are looking at right now, and the family has stated that I am their #1 choice.
Back to a calm state of being patient.
Now, it’s time to respond to other interview requests and finalize a lesson plan for the demo lesson I’ll do with the kiddos when I meet them next week!